Return to WebSite

RETURN TO THE MICROBUDGET WEBSITE BY CLICKING HERE

Sunday 19 February 2017

All ashore who's going ashore!

The best thing about having a little boat is how close you can get to the shore and up into those little estuaries to explore and come ashore.




So what do I have aboard and what do can you do on the coast?




Coming Ashore
Before we look at what you can do on and in the coast of almost anywhere, let's look at the joys of coming ashore when you have a small boat.
The first dream option, fantasised by many, is you drop anchor 20 meters from the shore, strip to the waist, dive in and swim ashore. When sailing in the Med this is very possible and I have indeed done this a few times. But swap this out for the North West coast of Scotland or the coast of Anglesey and I'd be reaching for the dry suite even in the height of summer! Swimming ashore also makes taking kit, unless in a dry bag, somewhat impracticable and unless you have planned well and have flipped the boarding ladders over the side for your return, the climb back in can be awkward to say the least.


This is obviously NOT the coast of Scotland!
My boats / yachts have ALL been under 22ft which means that tenders have always been a little bit of an issue for me. I've mainly had, well, cheap single chamber inflatables from bargain shops which are usually marked as 'suitable for pools only while under close supervision.' I know these are not the brightest of ideas but I'm happy so long as there's never been any more than two people in it and they have their vests on.


She'll be right! $15 all in!


Practically, if there's more than one person and a bag of shopping in one of these pool boats, they want to fold in half and swallow you whole, but after the third one tore in the aft locker, I had to find something that was more... durable and safer, but it couldn't cost the earth. 
Enter the Sportek® SR240K Inflatable Tender. This is great little boat that is tough(er) and comes with a pump and oars and can be picked up for as little as $100. I can at least paddle it without the constant fear of catching a rock and sinking in 10 seconds on the spot!

So now that I have a tender that I can safely fit into and store some gear without fear of drowing, what do I do when I see an inviting cove?

Explore!

Walking and Camping
I've always been a keen walker and have even dabbled a little with mountaineering, but now I'm content to explore the coast and what ever it congers up without going to the heady heights of throwing on full Mountaineering kit. 
To explore a region you're sailing, its great to get out into the hills.Places like Wales and Scotland literally have mountains that tumble down into the sea, or rise from Locks, so it would be rude not to indulge, wouldn't it. If you have the time, and a little more kit, you can also spend a night under the stars with the hills, perhaps looking back at your boat.


The Norwegian Fjord would be a fantastic place to sail and explore! 

So what do I store aboard to allow me to do this? A nice tightly closed 40 lire box holds all my essentials.

  • Rucksack (32 litre in my case)
  • Waterproof Jacket - not sailing kit.
  • Waterproof trousers - not sailing kit.
  • Boots - I prefer them as they are better in boggy ground and support the ankle better.
  • Gaiters / bog trotters.
  • 1 Litre water bottle.
  • Lunch Box (with food in it) bag of snacks is also great to have.
  • Simple first aid kit
  • Small binoculars - double as my backups for on board
  • Head torch.
  • Hand compass, Map and guides to the area.
  • Camera - don't forget the camera!

For extended walks and an overnight* I also have...

  • Stove and Pan set (make sure you have gas for it!)- I cook simple food such as pasta and sauce for dinner and porridge for breakfast!
  • Folding foam mattress - no worries about holes in my Therma rest!
  • Sleeping bag - from on board.
  • Extra pair of socks (bit of luxury.)
  • I have a Bivvy bag** to sleep out in as it packs down so small, but I'm a fan of small tents too, especially if there's two of you or you expect a lot of rain (wales / Scotland.) 
  • Tarp and rope.
  • Can of beer or wee tot or Rum or Whiskey is a nice treat for the evening to watch the sun go down.

I can fit all my kit into my little Rucksack and then row myself ashore. Stashing the tender can be a little stressful, but I've never lost it yet! To the sea or to passerby's. I think most people can see the boat moored so assume it belongs with it and leave it be. 

My kit isn't flash and new and some of the brands are at the cheaper end of the market, Regatta, Decathlon and the like. Most of it is even old kit I've retired off from being used on the hill. But I haven't scrimped on the Bivvy Bag, Tarp and Grab and go stove. These I got at sensible prices new from AlpKit. I've already posted a little fantasy Christmas list early last year, I think, but somethings are worth the extra to have the right kit. That said, my boots are getting old and are dubbed to within an inch of their life. Along with my Alp Kit, I take them off the boat as they're my only pair. This also means they aren't attacked by the sea salt air either. 

Wales and Scotland have always been a great place to explore with a boat and a rucksack but next up will be the coast of our current home, New Zealand! 

What do you do on your boat?
What more does it bring to you, other than the pleasure of sailing?

NOTES:
As I have said I use old kit that I have used and they may have now seen better days. Water proof has been re-proofed about 10 times. Pants are more splash resistant than water proof and the Rucksack is a 32 litre technical sack from my climbing days that is full of fond memories, but is still comfortable for a couple of days. If you're kitting yourself out for a days walk you don't have to go mad and brands such as Regatta and Vango will get the job done, its just a question of how long it'll last if used persistently. Much like you boat kit. 

* On a slightly more serious note, if you are thinking of spending the night on a mountain then apply your sailing sense to it. If you have a thin jumper with some flip flops and no tent please don't attempt to climb Ben Nevis! Check the weather and your ability before you go! There, I've warned you!

** Bivvy  bags are not for everyone. People like to draw a parallel between them and sleeping in a body bag, and to be honest, they are not too far short. I tend to use mine in the lee of a rock or better still in combination with the tarp that folds down to the size of my fist, so I am at least protected from the rain (although not it its driving hard), but not from the morning dew that likes to form on the outside of the Bivvy bag! Also not so good for the insane midges on the Isle of Skye! 



No comments:

Post a Comment