Return to WebSite

RETURN TO THE MICROBUDGET WEBSITE BY CLICKING HERE

Saturday 3 February 2018

Do what you can while you can


Only a few weeks into 2018 and an old uninvited 'friend' turned up unexpectedly, who I hadn't seen for almost 7 years, and was hoping I never would.

Thankfully their stay was relatively short and, while a little painful in the short term, they made me think of my longterm goals and needs.

They made me realize that I have spent more time planning the things I wanted to do and far less time actually doing them. I'm crashing through my forties now, and my twenty-year-old self would be horrified to see what little I have accomplished of my lifelong dreams and plans.


Having come to a family later in life I have now realized that I will never own a 50ft yacht and there is very little chance I will be sailing around the world anytime soon, if at all. Don't get me wrong, I've been lucky enough to do the majority of things as and when I wanted, but the things I haven't accomplished are now stewing inside. I need to do something about it.


Compromise

With a family, especially a young family,  theirs very little time for yourself and even fewer funds to do silly, extravagant things. Time and money disappear on family outings, School fees and day to day living. Sadly we're no longer able to disappear at a moments notice to the South of France or Fiji. Dare I say it, were in a routine.

My partner doesn't like boats, especially ones with sails, which is fair enough as she can become seasick even in the bath. That makes it even harder to convince her a boat is what I need, especially when they swallow so much of your time (and money) in maintenance, never mind the sailing itself. It hard to justify being away from family when they don't share your passion or interests.

Anyway, what I was trying to say was my recent visitor made me think again about what I need to do against, what I want to do. I'm now taking a very hard look at the C word... Compromise.

My bucket list has had a fair few ticks placed on it, but, there are some VERY large missing ones too. Like so many of us, I've been of the idea that there is plenty of time to get things done, but time waits for no man and I'm not wasting any more. If its compromise or nothing, I'm jumping on the compromise bus!


The List

Boats are extensive and they can't really be rationalized. You either want one or you don't. So this is more of a challenge but my bucket list has some unchecked items such as climbing the Eiger, restoring a classic car, running the New York Marathon and Cycling long section of the Tour de France and it's these that I am starting to take my compromise's on.
Before we had children I was an avid Climber and Mountaineer. I trained 3 times a week and was fortunate to climb with people far more capable than me allowing me to push into the higher grades of sports climbing. I enjoyed climbing all over the UK and have climbed most places in Europe as well as extended trips to Australia and the USA.

My list still had a number of iconic peaks and pinnacles on it, but I'm now happy to have the same experience but readjust my goals to be more realistic and achievable now, rather than later.

My original list something like this:


  1. Run the New York Marathon.
  2. Climb The Eiger.
  3. Restore a classic 911.
  4. Own a luxury 50ft yacht and sail the world.

My list is now more realistic and can be achieved in a 1 or 2 year period, even with meager funds to hand. More importantly, they allow me to achieve the same goals without putting the family at risk and let me explore New Zealand even further.


  1. Run the Auckland Marathon, perhaps warm up with the Rotorua 1/2 marathon?
  2. Cycle the 165km Round Taupo Lake event.
  3. Walk the Milford Track (Milford Sounds)
  4. Build a Cafe Racer from a 125cc bike.
  5. Buy a 20' trailer sailor so I can work on it at home. Launch it where I want for weekend adventures.


So that's me for 2018.


Before and after look remarkibly the same! OK, well almost.



In case you were wondering who my 'friend' was that caused me to think long and hard, it was my 3 torn and detached retina that has plagued me for the last 20 years. After skilled retina surgery, my eye sign has been saved a third time. Living with the idea that I could lose my sight at any time really focuses what you need to do while you can still see.
It shouldn't take a life-changing event to make you achieve your goals, but if you have delayed projects owing to finances or circumstances find a way to get them done, even if they need readjusting.



Now, go forth and do...

No comments:

Post a Comment