Return to WebSite

RETURN TO THE MICROBUDGET WEBSITE BY CLICKING HERE

Tuesday 31 January 2017

Life in Auckland Harbour - Janice of Wyoming


I'm not usually a super yacht fan, as they don't represent something I'm involved in and would be a dream I will never attain too, but I'm making an exception here, because if you've walked through the harbour in Auckland you've seen her, to be fair its hard to miss her. If you've not seen her in the harbour you'll still have seen her 50m mast from the harbour bridge I bet!

At 40m LOA (130ft in old money) and 8.7m in the Beam, she dwarfs all of the yachts in the marina. The 20m motor cruiser moored along side looked oldly small and more than a little out of place when I snapped the picture above. 

But who is she and where does she come from?


Janice of Wyoming has a few surprises up he sleeves.



The first is you shouldn't believe the name. There's no Janice on board and the yacht has been designed in the UK by Naval Architects Dubois and not by an American Architect as the name congers up. I also believe that the current owner is British and not American, as you would again think, but I can't be 100% sure.

The Second surprise is the fact that this stunning yacht only needs a crew of 6 to sail her, which apparently (according to the Dubios web site) also have rather plush accommodation for themselves. 

The main accommodation is made up of a large owner's suite, two guest staterooms with one convertible to a gym, making for 6 guests.

When there's no wind to fill the sails, which I can find no information about, (any one?) the 600hp Lugger Diesel can draw on its 15,000 ltr of fuel to take her almost anywhere, as long as the 6000 ltr of water she has on board can keep you hydrated that is. 



No matter what your view is on SuperYachts is you have to admire such a beautiful piece of engineering and be glad that someone has the guts and money to invest in such a labour of love.

More details and fantastic pictures about her can be found here...

  Super Yachts J of W website
  Dubois Yachts details on JofW 
  SuperYachts.com details

Nano Yacht vs Super Yacht
To put all this is perspective for me and all small yacht owners...

  • A 17" trailer yacht would still be be able to fit mid beam and still have 10 foot of space to rattle around in!
  • I could buy, refit with quality parts and berth a small 17ft yacht for a year for what it would cost to berth her per day in Auckland Harbour!

Am I jealous? We'll yes, more than a little, but it's a yacht, so you have to love her for it. We can sail the same seas and go similar places, OK so perhaps not really the same places. The only real difference is I'm the owner, crew and guest of my boat, where as the owner is the owner of J of W and not the sole crew.

According to their site they had some time aware recently and will be posting updates on their site. I'll watch and admire from a distance their adventures postings with rose tinted glasses of perhaps what could be for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment