Return to WebSite

RETURN TO THE MICROBUDGET WEBSITE BY CLICKING HERE

Thursday 29 October 2015

New Zealand pocket yachts- NOT UK pocket yachts

So, very occasionally, my afternoons may give me a few minutes to have a trawl over TradeMe (New Zealand’s equivalent to eBay) looking for possible boats and/or projects.
What's very obvious, other than the odd Hunter 18, the small yachts I have seen are not common in the UK and so I have spent a little time digging around in the small yacht market that is here in Australia and New Zealand.

This afternoon I have come across what appears to be a great little Trailer Sailor at only NZ$1800! Which sadly is $1650 more than I have spare at the moment ;o)



17 ft Pelin Caribou - ready to sail!


Main, jib and storm jib.
2 burner gimbled gas stove, sink with water tank
Sleeps 4.
Chemical toilet up front.
Good rig - has double forestays, double side stays - one set over the spreaders and braces to the underside of the spreaders, and a running back stay.

Trailer wof until 19/3/16

Long shaft Yamaha 4hp is available for an extra $300 if needed.

The Pelin Caribou 17 on offer comes with a trailer with WOF from the images she looks to be in reasonable shape, with a full set of sails. With a 70Kg lifting steel centre keel and 110Kg of ballast the article I found on her said she should be self-righting in calmer conditions – something you would always be aiming for with a 17ft yacht! So I looked into the builder, Pelin and it turns out that this yacht first came about in kit form, and Pelin produce a raft of kits and boats of varying sizes and ability. After clicking about the site and finding nothing of real interest I then came across the Cherry 16, another simple kit that also holds a massive interest for me, if only in the spiritual.

Cherry 16 - simple V Berth 16ft Micro Yacht
While the Cherry will be hard to find as a Project boat I did look at the costs of building one but at over $6000 and who knows how many hours of build time, I think I'll take my chances.

Here's a few links for the Cherry should see be of interest to you if you fancy a bash at building one.


 Anyway, I'm off to check the Lottery results...

No comments:

Post a Comment