Return to WebSite

RETURN TO THE MICROBUDGET WEBSITE BY CLICKING HERE

Thursday 4 September 2014

Mixing children and boats

When I first started to think about my sailing venture I was young(ish) and free of family life, constraints and concerns, but times have changed. I now have a young family meaning that sailing has had to take a back seat for almost the last 10 years, and in fact my partner has never know me to sail and has very little interest in it, in fact its safe to say that she has no interest.

That said I would love my children to, at the very least, have the opportunity to try sailing and if they like it, pursue it. The obvious route (like mine) is small dingy sailing, which can offer all sorts  but I would also love for them to be able to experience the 'camping' style of cruising offered by a small trailer sailer.

Safety is an obvious concern on board a boat and currently we have a 5 year old and 2 year old, and IF we were to get a boat then these tender ages need to be taken into account. Interestingly enough there is a site that offers advice for sailing with children, which oddly enough is run by... women.

Womenandcruising is a great site for the real practicalities of cruising with kids and offers a great amount of resources from real experience, but surely there is some fatherly advice knocking about for cruising with young children?

This is still a theoretical exercise and all depends upon actually getting a boat and then convincing the other half that her and the kids would be safe aboard!? 

Kids in the Cockpit

No comments:

Post a Comment